Plumbing problems are something that is quite common in each and every household. Whether it is a clogged sink or backed-up pipe, it will make a mess and leave an awful stench behind.
Typically, people lack the required skills and tools to tackle these problems independently, and hiring a plumber might be pricy.
Fortunately, we got you covered. There is a variety of solutions that you can opt for when facing these types of household issues. The trick is to pick the right drain cleaner because you do not want to damage your high-quality PVC pipes.
Some products will only be good for cleaning the grease, while others might be productive for hair clogs. If you have the problem of understanding which product to choose, look no further.
We offer you a list of the best drain cleaners for PVC pipes and other top-notch products that will ease your way in this endeavor.
Top Rated Products 2021
1. Green Gobbler Liquid Hair & Grease Clog Remover
If you are looking for quality and powerful drain cleaner but want to avoid chemicals like bleach or sodium hydroxide, Green Gobbler might be something that you require.
It will power through any type of grease, hair, or dirt stuck in your pipes.
This product is especially valuable if you want to preserve your PVC pipes. Its dense and strong formula will clean any type of blockage in less than thirty minutes. This is also enzymatic cleaner type and eco-friendly, so you do not have to worry about corrosion.
It is safe to use it on various types of drains made of different materials. Only one chamber might be just about enough to clean your bathtub or sink.
If you have an issue with harder obstruction in pipes, just repeat this process and allow the product to work its magic overnight!
2. Drano Dual Force Foamer Clog Remover
This product will clean pipe walls thoroughly and wipe any gunk attached to them. It will fill the whole pipe and reach blockages that common removers will not be able to.
All you need to do after using this dissolver is to flush with warm water.
It is highly productive for garbage disposals and kitchen drains and sinks. Drano does not have a strong chemical scent, and it removes unpleasant odors.
It starts to be effective within 30 minutes. Also, it will preserve PVC pipes productively but not in toilets since their trap configuration will not let the product reach areas where the substance can accumulate.
3. Liquid-Plumr Hair Clog Eliminator, Liquid Drain Cleaner
Have a problem with rough hair clogs and cannot get rid of them? These blockages definitely need more than just a plunger to resolve the issue.
Liquid-Plumr might be the most effective product on the market for this type of block.
This clog eliminator is safe for various types of septic systems and pipes, which also includes PVC. All you need to do is to pour it, wait until it takes effect, which is usually around 15 minutes, and flush afterward.
You should be very careful when using this product since it does not blend well with other cleaners or ammonia.
This combination can create dangerous fumes, so it is wise to wear a mask and gloves every time you clean toilets and clogs.
4. Zep Drain Defense Pipe Build Up Remover
When it comes to the protection of drain pipes, prevention is the best cure. Zep blockage remover is highly effective for clog elimination while it protects the pipes from any potential dangers in the future.
It is safe for all types of garbage disposals, sinks, drains, and septic tanks. This product is packed in a 64-ounce bottle.
It is recommended that you use it once during the month for more effective protection. Using it is quite simple.
All you need to do is run warm water for a couple of minutes, pour 1 ounce of the product, and flush it with 16 ounces of hot water. You should not use drains for a few hours so the build-up remover can take effect.
It is required to repeat this for the next 3 days to use the full potential of this cleaner. Great for maintenance and intended use.
5. Zep Root Kill 2 lb ZROOT24
If you ever encountered the problem when roots of trees start spreading in your pipes, you know just how many issues it can cause.
These roots can puncture small wholes and spread like wildfire in your sewer lines. Luckily, there are products specially made for these situations.
Zep root kill with its strong granular formula can easily disintegrate any tree or root problem in pipes that you have in your household.
This formula, however, does not destroy roots completely. It will only cauterize the ends of roots, so it does not spread any further. It will keep the roots at bay and protect your septic system efficiently.
6. Green Gobbler SYNCHKG121210 BIO-Flow Strips-12
“Stinky drain” can be a really unpleasant issue. Green Gobbler sticks can make a big difference in this matter. It is highly effective against grease, soap stains, food remains, and other nasty build-ups that can form in your sewage system.
Only one stick is required to take effect. It will dissolve matter that is formed in your pipes and eliminate horrible smells.
Slow-dissolving bacteria will eat up all those greasy blocks and work almost immediately. Green Gobbler BIO flow strips come in packaging of 12 and are easy to use.
7. DrainScrub Powder Enzyme Drain Cleaner and Septic Treatment
You should definitely consider this product if you have problems with various sewer clogs and unpleasant smells that come with it.
This drain cleaner comes in powder form, and it is an excellent food for enzyme-producing bacteria.
It is smartest to apply this clog opener during the night since you shouldn’t use drains after it for at least six hours.
Drain Scrub powder is effective for different types of drains and septic systems. It will remove nasty odors coming from toilets, garbage disposals, sinks.
8. Green Gobbler ENZYMES for Grease Trap & Sewer
This is the product that is great if you are looking for a cost-efficient and fast solution for your drains. Since it contains natural lipase enzymes, it is excellent if you want to avoid using caustic chemicals.
It is important to use it regularly for the best effect. Green Gobbler enzymes for grease trap and sewer will wipe your pipes clean from grease, oil, or fat efficiently and quickly.
In only a couple of hours, it will completely remove foul odors from your household. It can also work effectively in the main sewer line.
Same as most drain cleaners, it is necessary to wait for a couple of hours after applying them to take full effect.
How to choose the right product?
When you choose the product that will suit your needs best, it is essential to identify the blockage position and why it happened.
Food remains, grease, oil, mud can all be the reason your septic system is not working properly. There are various products on the market that are specialized for different types of clogs.
After you have identified the problem, you can proceed to choose the adequate one.
Ways to use drain cleaners
Most products that solve your septic system problems are applied the same way. You need to flush, pour the product, and flush it again with warm water. Typically you will need to wait between 6 and 8 hours for it to take effect.
Things you need to pay attention to when cleaning pipes
It is vital to read instruction labels before buying any drain cleaning product. You can find yourself in a huge problem if you pick the one that can damage your pipes.
Also, it is essential to wear protective gloves and a right mask when using these cleaners since they may have strong scents or cause injuries in contact with the skin.
Consider your budget before committing to product
Budget and cost-efficiency are something that always comes to mind when we need to buy any product.
Drain cleaning products often require repetitive use, so you might want to take some time before deciding which one suits you best. All cleaners from our list are affordable and cost much less than hiring a plumber.
Frequently asked questions
How often should I clean my pipes?
It depends. There are various products on the market, and they do not work in the same capacity. The size of your septic system is also an important factor.
If your drains do not get filled with much density, the best solution is to clean pipes once every month.
How long does it take for drain cleaners to work?
For a single use, you will need at least half an hour to notice the effect. However, it really depends on how big the build-up in your pipe system is.
If clogging is bigger you will need to repeat the process for several days for it to take effect.
Can I use a couple of different cleaners for better results?
Absolutely not. When you mix different chemical ingredients of this nature, their blend might become extremely toxic.
If you’re uncertain if you have already used some pipe cleaning product before applying a new one, it is wise to wear a mask and protective gloves as prevention.
Which drain cleaners are safe to use for plastic pipes?
Any product that does not contain hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. Although these products might be effective for blockage cleaning, they will have a devastating effect on pipes made of plastic.
How can I prevent clogs?
It is important to take care of your drains every day. People generally take this for granted and pour all sorts of things into their pipes which is a big mistake.
Try to avoid pouring grease, oil, food, or fats into your sinks since they can make huge blockages in pipes and cause various problems.
Can drain cleaners expire?
Yes, these products can degrade over time. Typically the expiration date is around two years.
Which drain cleaning product should I purchase?
This depends on the type of clog you are facing. Various things can cause issues with your pipes, even tree roots.
All these problems have different solutions, and it is best to inform yourself on which product is the best for the type of blocking you have encountered.
The pipe system in the household is something that many people take lightly. Ignoring the problems that can occur in septic systems can be devastating.
Check your plumbing daily and maintain your pipes on a regular basis to avoid serious problems. It is vital to take precautions and eliminate the bad habits of pouring substances that are harmful to pipes into your sinks.
We hope that the reviews and bits of advice we provided will help you in maintaining your household’s drains.
All the products listed above can be beneficial if used correctly. So gear up, arm yourself with informations, and start your monthly cleaning ritual!
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- GO WITH THE FLOW: DETCO-Clean LINE Drain Cleaner and Unblocker keeps pipes free flowing while helping to reduce the occurrences of stoppages by...
- DISSOLVES BLOCKAGES ON CONTACT: Our drain opener instantly dissolves grease, hair, soap scum, fats, sludge, q-tips, toilet paper and more
- INSTANTLY ELIMINATES UNWANTED ODORS: Keep your home smelling fresh and clean by getting rid of the offensive odors that can lurk in the pipes and...
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE: This industrial strength treatment is gentle on your PVC pipes, bathroom or kitchen sink, toilet, bathtub, dishwasher, garbage...
- BIODEGRADABLE AND MADE IN THE USA: Chem-Girl is a cleaning supply company in Muldrow, OK, that is passionate about making earth-friendly household...
- EASY TO USE: Fast and Powerful Single Use Pacs, No Measuring, No Guessing How Much To Use, No Mess. For Toilet clogs. ALL ORDERS INCLUDE 1 Hair...
- WORKS FOR: Bathroom Sinks, Bath Tubs, Showers, Toilets, Kitchen Sinks, Floor Drains, Slop Sinks, Urinals, RV Drains and More
- EFFECTIVE AGAINST: Grease, Hair, Toilet Paper, Soap Scum, Organic Materials, Body Oils, Calcium and Lime Buildup, Rust, Flushable Baby Wipes,...
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY and BIODEGRADABLE: Safer alternative to toxic and dangerous liquid drain chemicals and Safer to store around the home.
- GUARANTEE : We value our customers and we stand behind ALL of our products 100 percent with no questions asked. If you are not pleased simply call or...
- WORKS ON: Sinks, toilets and septic tanks
- ENZYME BASED FORMULA: Breaks down drain-clogging elements. Use monthly to prevent future clogs from happening
- SAFE FOR: PVC and most other septic systems
- BREAKS DOWN: Into CO2, minerals and water
- LONG AND FLEXIBLE CLEANING BRUSH – 22-Inch-long brush to clean deeper than ever before. Clean out hair, and other gunk
- IMPROVES DRAINAGE FLOW - This drain cleaning brush improves drainage flow by cleaning out hair and other objects that block drains
- IMPROVES DRAINAGE FLOW - This drain cleaning brush improves drainage flow by cleaning out hair and other objects that block drains
- STRONG AND SUPER FLEXIBLE - The strong yet flexible design of the B113C drain cleaning brush easily cleans out even the toughest blockages where...
- FITS THROUGH SMALL PIPES - Fits through any pipe bigger than 3/8 inches. The diameter of the cable is 1/4 inch and the bristles can be compressed to...
- 160cm Long with 5CM X 1CM Diameter Bristle Head
- Super flexible long brush, work for curved pipes/ tubes that angled less than 90 degrees
- Stainless steel material, durable nylon rotating bristles with scratch free head
- Works great at cleaning around the hard-to-reach narrow pipes/ tubes
- Cuts through grease, protein & hair buildup
- Made with enzyme power
- Safer for people, pets & the planet
- Non-corrosive, won’t damage pipes
- Made in USA without dyes, parabens, phosphates or phthalates