Hunting involves adventurous traveling to the forestland where an accurate navigation system is the most fundamental and dire need.
During hunting, hunters also take safety measures to keep them safe from unusual situations. So for handling such situations during hunting, hunters bring the best hunting GPS to use.
This hunting GPS comes in a handy form that is easy to carry and handle. The device is capable of using satellites for finding the locations and connecting the devices.
The best suitable GPS for hunting has access to 12-24 satellites. So for choosing the best hunting GPS, stick to this article till the end.
- Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K – Best Handheld Gps For Hunting
- Garmin GPSMAP 66st, Rugged Multi-satellite Handheld – Best GPS Units For Hunting under $200
- Magellan eXplorist 350H Handheld GPS – Top Waterproof Hunting GPS
- Tele Hunting GPS Tracker – Easiest GPS To Use For Hunting
- Garmin Montana 680 – Best for Hunting and Angling
Top Picks for Hunters
1. Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K – Best Handheld Gps For Hunting
This is the best GPS that is suitable for hunting. Although this GPS does not come with the facility of a touch screen but is considered the best in terms of accuracy and maps.
The device is filled with many advanced features including the Birds-eye 3D image and preloaded TOPO US 100k maps, facilitating the hunters during hunting.
The reason for being the highly sensitive GPS is the GLONASS system which makes the GPS different from the regular ones and provides high accuracy to the users.
It consists of a high-resolution display of 160240 pixels. The battery life is 16 hours which is quite good along with IPX7 waterproof ratings, facilitating the hunters to use it safely even underwater.
The best and noteworthy feature of this device is its connectivity. The device is even capable to connect with iPhone and many other devices through Bluetooth where the user can even receive emails and messages on the GPS.
Talking about the quality, this GPS is highly durable and sturdy. It also consists of sensors like temperature sensors, heart rate sensors, speed sensors.
It is the best hunting GPS consisting of high-quality advanced features like different types of sensors and a GLONASS system that makes it highly sensitive and different from the regular GPS.
With the facility of a dual battery system, the device has a strong battery life of 16 hours, facilitating the users to use it for several days without charging. The device also has the best connectivity.
2. Garmin GPSMAP 66st, Rugged Multi-satellite Handheld – Best GPS Units For Hunting
This is the best hunting GPS having premium quality, making it highly durable and sturdy. This updated model of GPS has many advanced features, making it suitable for hunting.
This GPS has a Multiple Global Navigation Satellite System whose function is to record the users tracking experience. Along with this, many other features are included like a three-axis compass and barometric altimeter.
This GPS has preloaded topographical maps of Canada and the US. While using this GPS, the user can use the Birdeye Satellite Imagery that is already downloaded on the device.
This GPS also provides relative information about the weather forecast through wireless connectivity. For getting live updates, the device has a feature of geocaching live and animated weather radar.
Another most important feature of this device that makes it suitable for hunting is the 3 sunlight-readable color display.
With the help of this feature, the hunters can use the GPS at any intensity of light. The battery life is 16 hours along with a scanner resolution of 240400 pixels. Also, it has a flashlight for signaling purposes.
This model of Garmin GPS has many advanced features including the GNSS system for recording the tracking experience.
It also has a strong battery life of 16 hours that helps in increasing the performance time as well. Having a 3-inch display screen, the device is capable to provide an HD resolution display of 240400 pixels.
3. Magellan eXplorist 350H Handheld GPS – Top Hunting GPS
Having the ability to tackle outdoor conditions, Magellan GPS is the best handheld hunting GPS that is specifically designed for hunters. The build quality of this device makes it highly tough and sturdy.
This GPS has high sensitivity SiRF Star III along with the water rating of IPX7 which makes it waterproof and suitable to be used underwater.
The hunting features of this device include the pre-downloaded WMU’S and GMU’s, 30 hunt-specific waypoints along with a base map that is suitable when going to the backcountry.
This base map has the ability to contour elevation while going towards the backcountry side. It also includes double AA batteries when combined with the suspend mode extending battery life up to 18 hours.
It provides high facilities to the hunters for choosing the hunting zones as this GPS consists of a menu of specific hunting zones of the US and Canada.
Also keeping the hunter on the track and making them stay in authorized hunting conditions, the GPS has the feature of Boundary Alert Function for helping the hunter. The device is easy to use and can be controlled with a single hand due to its compact size.
This is the best hunting GPS device used by hunters in order to handle external environment situations during hunting. The device facilitates the hunters in many different ways including the Alert Boundary Function to keep them on track and a specific menu of selecting the hunting zones.
The battery life is extended to 18 hours due to the double AA battery that is combined with the suspend mode.
Read Also: Best Hunting Guide Schools
4. Tele Hunting GPS Tracker – Easiest GPS To Use For Hunting
If you are someone who wants to have the best hunting GPS with highly advanced technological features, then Tele hunting GPS is the best suitable.
This device works as a tracker as well as GPS. This device fulfills the need for a phone and walkie-talkie and facilitates the hunters to stay in touch through this device during hunting.
This GPS tracker helps the hunters to communicate only using this one device without depending upon the cell phone facility and Wifi connectivity.
Many other features of this device include different sensors, SOS, offline maps, tracking time, and many more. It works suitably during hunting, hiking, and many other outdoor activities.
The build of this GPS is made tough and durable making it suitable for use in harsh conditions. Another property of this GPS is its resistance towards splash that makes it waterproof and suitable to use underwater.
The Li-polymer batteries are purchased separately for extending the battery life up to 20 hours and more.
Moving towards connectivity, the device can easily connect to many devices including both iOS and Android.
Tele hunting GPS device is a high technological device suitable for hunting and hiking. This GPS tracker is waterproof with a high-quality build. The Li-polymer batteries are there to extend the battery life up to 20 hours and more.
The device works best with both Android and iOS devices. By using this GPS, the hunters do not depend upon the Wifi facility.
5. Garmin Montana 680, Touchscreen Hiking Handheld, GP
Last but not least, Garmin Montana GPS is considered to be best suited during the harsh journey of hunting due to its amazing and noteworthy features.
This is a high-performance GPS device having a battery life of 22 hours due to the contribution of AA batteries.
The GPS is waterproof, has the ability to face the splashes of water.
The working ability of this GPS device is similar to a smartphone. It has 4 inches touch screen display for a wider view. The barometric altimeter along with 3 axis tilt-compensated electronic compass are the best features that facilitate the hunters during hunting.
The build of the device is made tough due to the rugged case cover. Along with waterproof properties, the GPS is also shockproof and is able to resist humidity and dirt.
With the help of the tracker manager feature, the GPS is able to trace the current location of the hunter and help them in precise navigation during hunting.
For capturing the hunting view, the GPS has a camera of 8-megapixel. It also has 30 hunt waypoints with 250,000 geocaches. The original battery life of the device is 16 hours which is quite good without having AA batteries inserted.
Hence it is the best hunting GPS having many facilitating features that work best during hunting. The battery life of the GPS is extended from 16 hours to 20 hours by inserting AA batteries.
Also, the device is capable to locate the exact current location of the hunters with the help of a tracker manager. Having a subscription to Birdseye Satellite, the GPS is capable to capture clear images of hunting.
Components To Be Considered While Buying The Best Hunting GPS
Size And Weight
While buying the GPS for hunting, do consider those that are lightweight and are of a travel-friendly size. As hunting is a very difficult activity to perform, so handy and portable GPS for navigation and finding locations is considered to be the best hunting GPS.
Hunters prefer compact-sized and lightweight GPS having a single-hand operation.
It is the most important factor to consider while buying the best hunting GPS. Most of the GPS comes with a battery life of 12 to 16 hours.
But the performance and battery time can be increased by adding additional AA batteries that extend battery life from 16 to 22 hours. Most of them also have an option of recharging so opt according to your convenience.
Quality Of Display
Display quality matters a lot while buying the best hunting GPS. So while choosing the GPS, look for the display screens that are made of plastic that serve in the long run.
Also, prefer those display screens that have a feature of sunlight readability that can be easily used by the hunters during harsh sunlight.
Should I get GPS for Hunting?
If you are planning to go hunting, then GPS is a very important and essential tool for accurate navigation and securing hunters from unusual situations.
What is the easiest GPS used for hunting?
The base map is a mobile app that is the easiest GPS used during hunting.
Hunting GPS is the best and handy equipment used by hunters during hunting. It facilitates the hunters by giving them accurate location and navigation.
The display screen of GPS is wide to provide a clear view of hunting. Further making your choices more clear, here is our two recommended best hunting GPS:
- Garmin GPSMAP 66st, Rugged Multi-satellite Handheld with Sensors is considered to be the best performer having GNSS system along with 3 modes of display.
- Tele Hunting GPS Tracker is the best GPS facilitating hunters in communication.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- Rugged handheld navigator with preloaded worldwide basemap and 2.2 inch monochrome display
- WAAS enabled GPS receiver with HotFix and GLONASS support for fast positioning and a reliable signal
- Waterproof to IPX7 standards for protection against splashes, rain, etc.
- Support for paperless geocaching and Garmin spine mounting accessories. Power with two AA batteries for up to 20 hours of use (best with Polaroid AA...
- See high and low elevation points or store waypoints along a track (start, finish and high/low altitude) to estimate time and distance between points
- Rugged construction is rated to MIL-STD 810 for thermal, shock, water and vibration
- 5” glove-friendly touchscreen display (50% larger than the previous model) offers easy viewability; available with versatile mounting options
- Multi-GNSS (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) support — plus preloaded TopoActive maps; outdoor navigation sensors include 3-axis compass and barometric...
- Pro-connected with ANT+ technology, Wi-Fi connectivity and BLUETOOTH wireless networking, giving you direct-to-device access to BirdsEye Satellite...
- Compatible with the Garmin Explore website and app to help you manage waypoints, routes, activities and collections, use tracks and review trip data...
- Premium GPS handheld with Birdseye Satellite Imagery subscription and TOPO maps
- Large, 3” sunlight-readable color display for easy viewing. Display size - 1.5 W x 2.5 H inch (3.8 x 6.3 cm); 3 inch diag (7.6 cm)
- Multiple Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) support to track your travels in more challenging environments than GPS alone plus three-axis...
- Access to Birdseye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription and preloaded TOPO U.S. and Canada maps
- Expanded wireless connectivity supports Active Weather for up-to-date forecasts and animated weather radar and Geocaching Live for mobile syncing and...
- Support GPS, GLONASS Navigation Satellite System, provide instant and precise positioning.
- Measure area and length of any shape (mountainous land, slope and flat field)
- 2.4 inch 128 x 160 large screen that makes more clear and visually
- Current satellite signal intensity & positioning precision showing
- Automatic farmland area & length measurement