Wood routers are gaining a lot of hype due to their amazing performance. However, similar to other power tools and machinery, having a wood router appropriate to the level of expertise of a beginner is essential.
As the needs of a beginner are different from an expert, it is essential to get a model that befits those needs.
From my personal experience, finding the best wood router for beginners is a game-changer. If there is any novice out there who can not find the best wood router for beginners, do not worry; I got your back.
I am sharing a few models of wood routers for beginners that made my life easier.
Best Picks for 2022
1. Makita RT0701CX7 – Best Compact Router Kit
This model is one of the best options for people who have just started their woodworking career. It has a compact and easy-to-use design.
Moreover, the slim size and lightweight design of the Makita RT0701CX7 Compact Router Kit are one of the many reasons this model is considered the best wood router for beginners.
In addition to that, this wood router comes with a speed control dial, which makes it possible to work on different projects with different speeds.
The speed range of this model is 10000 RPM to 30000 RPM. Right under the speed dial, the manufacturers have added the power button, so once you are done with the machine, you can turn it off in a second.
Furthermore, a quick-release lock system has been added to this model. This makes it possible for the users to conveniently remove the base or make depth adjustments.
Moving towards the motor of this model, it comes with a 1.25 HP motor that has an aluminum casing to keep from heating up.
This model is the perfect fit for anyone who is just kick-starting their career. This wood router’s simple to use and lightweight design makes it possible to use the machine effortlessly.
Moreover, despite being compact, this model is capable of offering 30000 RPM.
2. DEWALT DW616 Router – Top Rated Beginner’s Router
No list is complete without the name of DEWALT, as their models are the best. This model of DEWALT DW616 Router upholds that reputation.
This wood router comes with nifty features that will make every beginner’s life easier. It has a simplistic design that any novice can operate easily.
Moreover, one of the best features of this wood router is that it allows depth adjustment, which makes it possible for the users to control their tool more efficiently.
The depth adjustment is possible due to the presence of the micro-fine depth adjustment ring present at the lower end.[In addition to that, this model comes with a 12-amp 1 ¾ HP motor that takes the performance of this model to another level.
The motor makes it capable of smoothly cutting through wood. Furthermore, the cherry on top is that the motor has been built with steel, so it will stick around for a longer period of time.
Lastly, this model has rubber grips so that you can operate it without any discomfort.
The DEWALT DW616 Router is the perfect model for every beginner out there. It comes with a 1 ¾ HP motor that is built from high-quality steel.
Moreover, the rubber grips, depth adjustment, and the small design of this model make it possible to operate the tool easily.
3. Bosch PR20EVS Router Tool – Easy To Use
The Bosch PR20EVS Router Tool power tool has been designed while keeping the needs of beginners in mind. Therefore, it comes bearing every perk that a beginner might need.
The first thing is the compact and lightweight design of the wood router that can be held in both hands with ease.
In addition to that, what makes this model the best wood router for beginners is that it comes with a 1.0 HP, 5.6 amp motor.
The best part is that the speed of the motor goes from 16000 to 35000 RPM. So, the users can adjust the speed according to the project at hand. There is a sturdy clamp that allows users to make adjustments to the motor.
Another great feature is that Bosch has added depth adjustment to this wood router. The users can make both micro and macro depth adjustment to their power tool.
Moreover, what I really liked about this wood router is that it comes with a base constructed from aluminum.
If there is one thing every beginner wants from their wood router, it is a small and easy-to-handle body. This is exactly what the Bosch Router Tool PR20EVS is all about.
The robust motor of this wood router goes from 16000 RPM to 35000 RPM in just a couple of seconds.
4. Triton TRA001 Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router – Most Powerful Router
As a beginner, the first thing that you need is a simple and easy-to-use design. When you get loads of power in a simplistic design, then the deal becomes even better.
The Triton TRA001 Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router is all about providing its users with a high amount of power in a compact design.
This model comes with a motor that has a whopping 3 ¼ HP. With this kind of power, the users can use this wood router for their lighter and heavier projects.
There is one button at the front; this button is single-handedly responsible for shifting from conventional plunge to fixed mode.
The inclusion of an automatic spindle lock makes it possible to change the single wrench bit. In addition to that, when the tool is in full plunge mode, the users can make depth adjustments through micro winders.
One of the best features of this model that stood out to me was the side air vents. The presence of these air vents reduces the amount of dust intake into the motor.
This is one of the best wood routers for those people who need a little bit more power. The dual-mode motor of this model makes it possible to do light and heavier projects.
In addition to that, the side air vents will keep the motor safe from dust particles.
5. Ridgid R2401 Laminate Trim Router – High Quality Wood Router
The Ridgid R2401 Laminate Trim Router is the model for beginners who need a good quality wood router. This model has been manufactured with high-quality metal so that it sticks around for a longer period of time. However, despite being constructed from metal, it is light in weight.
This power tool’s compact and easy-to-use design makes it possible for the first-timer to get the hang of the machine.
In addition to that, it comes with round and square bases, and with the help of the clamp, the users can easily unlatch the motor from one base and shift it to another. The motor of this model is capable of going from 20000 to 30000 RPM.
Furthermore, there is a micro-adjust dial so that the users can make depth adjustments. This is a really thoughtful inclusion as it gives users more control.
The over-molding on the top of the router keeps your machine and the surface it sits on safe and scratch-free.
This model has to be one of the finest and most suitable for beginners in the market. The full metal construction makes it durable.
In addition to that, it comes with a 1 HP motor, round and square bases. With the help of the micro-adjust dial, the users will be able to make depth adjustments easily.
Wood routers are the power tool that every person who loves making DIY projects needs to have in his garage.
However, as handy as a wood router is, if the model is not according to the expertise level of a beginner, it is useless for them. Not every model of wood router present in the market is perfect for beginners.
There are a few factors that can help you find out which model of wood router is best for beginners and which is not. I am sharing all of those factors in detail below.
Construction Of The Wood Router
Whether the wood router is being bought for a novice user or an expert, construction is the most crucial factor to consider.
The construction of a wood router determines how long the machine will stay around, its durability, and its strength. The ideal wood router models are the ones that come with metal, aluminum, or steel construction.
All of these materials possess a high amount of strength and durability. The usage of these materials in the making will ensure that the wood router does not break after a couple of uses.
If you get yourself a wood router that comes with low-quality construction, you are basically throwing your money down the drain.
Design Of the Wood Router
For beginners, this factor is crucial. As experts know their way around wood routers and other power tools, they can handle machines that have tricky designs.
However, as beginners are using wood routers for the first time, they need a machine that has a simple design.
When you are purchasing a wood router for a beginner, make sure to see that it should have a compact design with a few buttons.
The motor of a wood router is what powers it, so it is essential to take a look at the motor before spending your bucks on the model. For beginners, motors with 1 HP to 3 HP are considered the best.
They deliver excellent performance and are easy to handle. The models that are higher than 3 HP are for more professional use and can be difficult to tackle.
Therefore, while purchasing, make sure you go for a motor power that is appropriate for beginners.
The speed of the motor is measured in RPM, which means rotations per minute. The higher the RPM range of a wood router, the more widespread its usage is going to be.
As beginners do not work on heavy and extensive projects, they do not need a wood router with high RPM. For beginners, a model with a range of 20000 RPM to 30000 RPM will be perfect.
As the name indicates, the depth adjustment of a wood router determines how deep the machine will cut through wood.
If you are buying a wood router for beginners, make sure to check that the model should allow depth adjustment.
If you do not check this factor, or if it isn’t present, then you will not be able to use your wood router for different projects.
What is the best budget wood router?
The Bosch PR20EVS Router Tool is the best budget wood router present in the market. It comes at a comparatively low price and is perfect for beginners.
In addition to that, this model has a 1.5 HP motor that has a speed range of 16000 RPM to 35000 RPM.
How do I choose a wood router?
The few things that will help you choose a model of wood router perfect for your use are the power of the motor, the speed of the motor.
Moreover, the construction of the wood router is also essential and, last but not least, an easy-to-use design. These things will help you pick the best model.
Now that you are aware of all the perks and benefits that a wood router brings to the table and the best wood router for beginners, it is time to make a decision and pick a model.
However, if you are still skeptical, then I am sharing my top 3 recommendations for you.
- Makita RT0701CX7 Compact Router Kit has a compact design, 1.25 HP motor, and a maximum of 30000 RPM.
- DEWALT DW616 Router comes with a 1 ¾ HP steel motor and allows depth adjustment.
- Triton TRA001 Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router comes with a 3 ¼ motor with dual-mode and has side vents.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- Powerful Motor & Variable Speed - 6.5-Amp motor with max horsepower of 1.25 delivers abundant power for a variety of routing and trimming...
- Precise Operation & LED Lights - Smooth rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system ensures precise operation for a range of cabinetry and woodworking...
- Ergonomic Design & Convenience - Rubber covered handle for comfortable grip;The quick locking system for convenient depth adjustments and base change.
- Durable Housing & Clean Jobsite - The aluminum body and base for long term durability; Dust hood removes dust to leave a clean work space.
- Package Included - 1.25 HP compact router tool with 12.1Ft/3.7m cord, 5 router bits, edge guide, roller guide, dust hood, 3/8” and 1/4” collet,...
- Transparent base for a clear view of the triming edge,easy to operate
- Dressing guide, roller running along the curve, ensuring cutting is exact. Curve processing fine. Straight guide, thicker models are stable and not...
- External carbon brush, universal carbon brush easy to replace. Lift knob, the knife scale can be adjusted.
- Quick Release Lever, allows for easy removal of motor from base.
- Can be used for wooden processing, cabinet processing, handicraft production and DIY. Easy to wood triming, grooving and drilling.
- VERSATILE: kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming and...
- DURABILITY: aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable wood routers yet with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft grip handle on a...
- EASE OF USE: rounded hardwood handles maximize user control; microfine bit-depth adjustment
- CONVENIENT: with the built-in constant response circuitry, our 1617EVSPK wood router will maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, so you get...
- 12 AMP MOTOR AND ADJUSTABLE SPEED DIAL: user can set the optimal speed (8,000-25,000 RPM) for more or less power
- Wood Router, This Electric Hand Trimmer Wood Router is made of high quality alumium shell material and Strong power copper motor, A nice friend for...
- Ergonomic Design & Urgrade - Anti-slip Silicone Handle for better grip; The Height Adjustment Knob for convenient depth adjustments and base change.
- The Wood Router that transparent base design is easy for recognizable the processing in time.is widely used in wood processing cabinet, , handicraft...
- Multifunction Use-This electric wood trimmer is widely used in wood processing cabinet, , handicraft DIY, wood grooving and trimming, curve cutting,...
- Package Included:1 x Electric Trimmer Wood Tool,1 x Straight Guide, 1 x Guide plate, 1 x Trimming Guide, 2 x Wrenches, 2 x Carbon brush,3 x Router...
- ✔【HIGH QUALITY ALUMINUM】:This electric trimmer is made of high quality aluminum and plastic, with long serving life
- ✔【EASY to OPERATE】:Transparent base design is great for accuracy easily recognizable in processing
- ✔【TRIMMING GUIDE】:Trimming guide, roller running along the curve,ensuring cutting is exact, curve processing is fine
- ✔【STRAIGHT GUIDE】:Straight guide, thicker models are stable and not deformed, straight processing is stable. With the wrenches you can tighten...
- ✔【WIDELY USED】:This electric trimmer is widely used in wood processing, cabinet processing, handicraft production, plastic sheeting, wood veneer...
- Powerful motor 800W power for a variety of routing and trimming applications.Transparent base design makes the operation process visible and it is...
- Edge guide and roller guide makes the straight trimming easier and faster.Smooth rack-and-pinion depth adjustment system ensures precise operation for...
- Ergonomic handle grip.Rubber covered handle for comfortable grip and anti-fatigue long term operation.The durable aluminum body chassis and base is...
- Universal carbon brush is easy to replace.The knife scale can be adjusted precisely by lifting the knob refer to the scale printed on the machine so...
- Package includes 800W compact router tool with 5ft cord, 15 router bits, edge guide, roller guide, guide plate,wrenches, bolt, screw, replacement...