Ricky Schroeder is a very versatile actor and a former child star. He started his career when he was still a toddler and rose to work in the film industry as an actor, director, and producer. Working for almost all his life, he is such an experienced actor.
About Ricky Schroder
Ricky Schroder debuted in the film industry at a very tender age. The 1979 movie, The Champ and the 80s sitcom Silver Spoon made him a star and a household name. He received numerous awards giving his life a very grandiose start. At the age of 10, he even received a Golden Globe Award!
He is one of the finest actors and a film director. As a mature actor, his work in Lonesome Dove is quite credible. Having worked in numerous TV shows, series and movies he has also won and has been nominated for various awards.
Early Life And Family
Born on the 13th of April in 1970 in Brooklyn, New York City, he rose to stardom when he was just 10. His parents were Richard Schroeder and Diane Schroeder. Ricky has an elder sister named Dawn. Having to raise two kids, Diane Schroeder quit his job.
Ricky’s mother would often take him to photoshoots when he was a little kid. Later, her mother took him to Los Angeles, hoping for a better career for him. Ricky eventually completed his schooling at Calabasas High School and went on to get a degree from Mesa State College. He says acting is something that has always come naturally to him. He never went to any film school.
In 1992, Schroeder married Andrea Bernard. They share four children Faith Anne, Cambrie, Holden Richard, and Luke William Schroder. Unfortunately, the marriage couldn’t last a lifetime and after 24 years of being together, Andrea filed for a divorce in 2016. After that, he had a girlfriend named Jessica, but currently, he is single.
His Career And Major Milestones
- After appearing in many catalogs, The Champ (1979) was Ricky’s first debut film. It was directed by Franco Zeffirelli. Ricky played the role of Timothy, and the movie became a global hit.
- Silver Spoons, which was a TV sitcom, made him a child star. The show, which featured Ricky as Ricky Stratton aired from 1982 to 1987.
- Among countless movies and shows that he has performed in, drama film Too Young the Hero (1988) series Lonesome Dove (1989) and NYPD Blue (1998-2001) are notable.
- He has directed four movies including the feature film. Black Cloud (2004). He has also produced three war documentaries “The Volunteers”, “My Fighting Season” and “The Fighting season”.
- Golden Globe Award for New Male Actor in 1979.
- Young Artist Award for the movie The Earthling, in 1981
- Best Young Actor in TV series for Silver Spoons, in 1983
- Best Film Award for Black Cloud, 2004
A Few Things You Didn’t Know About Ricky Schroder
- Confronting his image as a child star, he omitted y from his name and preferred getting addressed by the name Rick Schroder.
- He had acted in 60 advertisements by the age of six and has acted in 62 movies in his entire career.
- In 2005, the video Whiskey Lullaby for a Brad Paisley song won him an award for Director of the Year.
He has a net worth of $25 million. He has made most of his money through his acting, producing, and directing career. He owns a $5.45 million house in Malibu, California, along with his other assets.