Winter is over and you absolutely need to have your house inspected. The responsible homeowner inspects his home thoroughly in the spring. He first visits the house and checks whether sidewalks and lower parts of the walls have recesses and protrusions indicating increased water flow due to damage to sewers and gutters. Today we will tell you what to look out for and why spring is the perfect time for most repairs.
Regular maintenance can prevent many failures
Modern residential buildings and homes allow for a quality stay only if all systems work properly. As long as there is no problem, we do not even assume that it can be broken. Therefore, it is necessary to think about regular maintenance in advance, as some repairs take a long time. ou can also some great gears from homegearexpert.com.
When it comes to heating systems, the most appropriate time for regular service is immediately after the heating season. As stated by this website, the regular maintenance of the roof should be completed before the beginning of the autumn rains. Window maintenance can be done at any time during the year. It is not necessary to maintain the water pipes every year, but if there is a need for it, it would be best to do it during the summer months. The eventual repair of the water pipes may cause the household to run out of the water, but it is still easier when it happens in summer than in winter when you run out of hot water.
What can you fix yourself, and when is it better to call an experienced craftsman?
- Electrical Installation: Replacing a light bulb is an easy job and anyone can do it. However, if the problem is with a fuse, it is often necessary to do more than replacing it. The cause of the malfunction is first to be found out and it is safest to call an electrician.
- Gas: Removing defects in gas installations is a job that should definitely be left to the expert. If you smell a characteristic gas odor, open the windows immediately, close the main gas connection, inform your neighbor and the gas distributor. It is forbidden to light matches, cigarettes or electrical appliances as a small spark can cause a large explosion. It would also be a good idea to turn off the electricity.
- Plumbing: If a faucet or sink is blocked, you can solve the problem yourself. Other, more demanding jobs, such as changing the sink or repairing a malfunctioning valve, let the plumber do the job. If water spills occur, close the main water valve immediately. If the water has come into contact with the wiring, you have to disconnect the power supply.
- Heating system: Interventions on heating systems can only be performed by professionals. If the valve on the radiators is not tightly closed, it may be necessary to empty the entire heating system or to change a specific part of the system, which is a very complicated job.
When is the emergency?
Some failures may need to be addressed either immediately or as soon as possible to prevent further damage, such as leakage of roof or failure of any of the installations. These are the jobs that professionals need to do. Often, these failures are eliminated in two stages: an emergency repair that needs to be done immediately, and a thorough repair should be done afterward. No matter how skilled or not you are at home repair, you need to know these things at all times:
-Where is the main water valve located and how to close it?
-Where are the main switch and the fuse located?
– Where’s the gas supply valve?
How to find experienced professionals?
However, malfunctions are not so common, so you probably don’t have the experience of finding the ones to fix the malfunction. Where can you find a proven team? Maybe a neighbor, relative or friend knows someone. Or search the Internet, where you will find experienced and proven professionals, with good reviews, such as hawaii-roofing.com.
Now, back to the main topic of our text. And why is spring, the season we are entering, best for most repairs?
Get ready for the summer
In summer we all love to enjoy ourselves. Then we plan vacations, relatives, and friends to come to visit us. Therefore, it is best to repair all the problems around the house early so that such problems do not spoil our plans. Also, if you have a pool, now is the perfect time to start getting ready for the summer.
Best weather conditions
The climate in spring is mild and therefore ideal. Most things cannot be done in the bright summer sun or cold, humid winter. In the spring you will be able to finish most of the work without much delay due to the weather, and the paint will ideally dry and many other mitigating circumstances. The day is long, especially towards the end of spring, so you have over 10 hours of daylight.
If you are planning to sell a house
May is considered the best month in the real estate market. So if you are planning to sell your house, now, at the beginning of spring, do everything you need to be able to reach a good price. You may even increase the price compared to the previous one when your home is set apart from the rest damaged by winter.
Don’t forget your weekend cottage
Even if you prepared for the winter before the cold weather started – shut off the water, turn off the power, inspect the roof, lower the shutters on the windows – snow, rain, and cold could do you some harm in the meantime. The first thing you need to check is the main water valve and whether the pipe has burst. This often happens when the winters are cold and the house has not been heated for months. If you have not protected the main water valve with wool, styrofoam, and nylon, there may be problems. The boiler valves could also be damaged during the winter if you did not drain the water.
After carefully inspecting the water pipes, move on to the roof, that is, thoroughly inspect all rooms to see if there is any moisture on the walls. After inspecting the house, it’s time to visit the yard as well. First, check the condition of your fence, whether it is broken or damaged. The same goes for patios and a patio in front of the house if it is paved. Check the condition of your lawn and garden if you have them. You can read great guides on gardens and gardening tools on kitchenhome.co.uk.
Do not forget to visit the basement and attic which will also need cleaning. These are jobs that are mostly done once a year anyway, and then it’s an opportunity to throw everything you push into the basement because you don’t know where to go with it. Also check the condition of your tool, whether the mower is running, or if the garden watering hose has not been pierced.