‘You can’t buy happiness. But you can buy cupcakes, and that is kind of the same thing.’
Isn’t this the perfect line ever? Food has the power to make you happy and alleviate your mood, no matter the situation. A lot of people associate food with emotions if they feel sad, they eat, if they feel good, they eat and so on. But if you eat good food regularly, your body, health, and your soul will always be happy.
No one would recommend eating a box of chocolate cupcakes when you are feeling sad. But if you make it healthy, and use dark chocolate, you can certainly ease some of your tension and anxiety. That is the power of food; it cheers you up, takes care of your body and mental health as well.
So, if you are looking for food recipes that will not only make you feel happy and good, but are also healthy, fulfilling, and nutritious, these recipes are for you.
Recipe 1: Popcorn shrimp using a spicy sauce
Who doesn’t love bao buns? They are super-delicious and indulgent and a meal that can be healthy as well as delicious. It is one of the most delicious and simple steamed bun recipes. It is full of flavour with easy ingredients. Let’s take a look at how you can make this authentic Chinese recipe which is high in protein at home.
- First, get your shrimps ready. It is your choice to make it on your own or use boxed ones as well and reheat them.
- Next, use a spicy sauce to glaze your shrimps.
- Lastly, fill your bao buns with these shrimps and enjoy this decadent recipe.
Love this? Then, here are some great steamed bun recipes you can try. These Chinese recipes are authentic and sinfully indulgent!
Recipe 2: Mujadara- Authentic recipe of rice and lentils with caramelized onions
One of the best Middle-Eastern recipes that you should undoubtedly try once. The dish has wonderfully delicious layers of rice and lentils covered with caramelized onion that you can eat with numerous spicy sauces and dips. It has too many varieties, but in all its form, this vegetarian meal is healthy and inexpensive.
- In a pan, take a cup of brown basmati rice and let it cook.
- After 10 minutes, use any uncooked green or brown lentils and let them cook together.
- Now, caramelize your onions in olive oil. It can be soft or crispy according to your taste.
- Now, all you need to do is layer the rice and lentil and top it with the onions. Serve with yoghurt or dip of your choice.
Recipe 3: Whole grain cereal with blueberries and low-fat milk
Cereals are amazing and hearty meals, especially for breakfast. If you are feeling blue, try a simple recipe that is fit for breakfast or even a light late dinner. Use fortified whole-grain cereals. Add any low-fat milk of your choice and a handful of blueberries in it. It is healthy, nutritious, and fulfilling. The blueberries are said to help you fight depression, and the cereals and milk will make sure that you have strong bones.
Recipe 4: Buckwheat pancakes with caramelized bananas
Sundays without pancakes are a deal-breaker! So, here is one healthy recipe for you. Buckwheat is one of the healthiest flour which has tons of proteins, fibre, and other nutrients. If you are looking to eat an indulgent but healthy pancake, try making buckwheat pancakes with caramelized bananas.
Make the batter of pancake as you usually make, but use buckwheat flour instead.
Now, in a pan, use clarified butter or unsalted butter, and add a bit of sugar (stevia or cane) and a bit of lemon juice and water. Let it caramelize and add banana to it. Once they brown up, layer them over the pancakes and enjoy with a drizzle of honey and maple syrup.
Recipe 5: Quinoa black bean veggie burger
Who doesn’t love burgers? But eating them is a bit unhealthy, but what if we share a healthy meal which will make you feel good and happy.
- Cook 1/4th cup of quinoa till it becomes fluffy
- Use ½ cup cooked/canned beans, mince them along with your veggies. Next, mash them in a paste-like form but do leave a few chunks.
- Now, add quinoa, oats flour, veggies, onion, garlic, chilli, jalapeno, and other herbs to the black bean paste.
- Mix egg/flax egg to the mixture and make your pattie.
- Cook it with some cheddar cheese and add it to your bun and enjoy.
Recipe 6: Buckwheat pancake with grapes and rhubarb
Do you love breakfast for dinner? Then try this pancake recipe and make your dinner on the weekend special. Buckwheat is a healthy grain which makes your pancake healthy and hearty. The first thing you need to do is:
- Roast the rhubarb by preheating the oven at 160 degrees. Now, lay the rhubarb over the tray and spray orange juice, zest, and star anise, grapes, and a bit of maple syrup over it. Roast it for at least 15 minutes with foil. Now, roast it again for some time till the fruit is soft but holding its shape without the foil.
- Now, take 500 gm off ricotta and mix it with 2 tbsp of maple syrup to it. Turn the temperature down to 100 degrees.
- Now, for the pancakes, whisk the dry and wet ingredients separately.
- Now, make the pancake on the oven or a griddle pan. Once you get the pancake ready, serve it warm fruit and ricotta with maple syrup.
Recipe 7: Kimchi fried rice with bacon and eggs
Another hearty, light, but delicious recipe that will make your weekend amazing is this kimchi fried rice. You can whip up this Korean dish within minutes and it’s indulgent as well.
To make this, you need:
- A wok now adds oil to it and saute onion and bacon till onion gets soft and bacon becomes crispier. Now, add ginger and garlic and saute till you smell the fragrance.
- Now, add roughly chopped kimchi, cooked and cold rice, peas, and any other vegetable of your choice.
- Stir it for 2 minutes till they heat up.
- In a different pan, add some oil and break two eggs in it. Fry it as per your liking. Drain on a paper towel and repeat the process with other eggs.
- Now, add sesame oil, butter, kimchi juice and stir it.
- Serve the rice in a bowl, add the eggs, and serve with chives or herbs of your choice.
Tell me in the comments below what are your go-to-recipes which are healthy and make you happyish!