There comes a time when you may need to replace old speakers or revamp factory-installed premium sound systems. Well, car audio systems may not be an easy task, but then again, you do not have to be an expert to build the system of your dreams.
In our expert guide of the best 5×7 speakers, you will get to understand each element of the audio system, and ultimately, make a final buying decision from our suggestions.
Types of system of the 5×7 speakers
Car stereo systems are different and may have various components including tweeters and super tweeters, midrange, woofers, and subwoofers.
- Tweeters are the small speakers that produce higher-end sound frequencies
- Subwoofers deliver very low sounds under 180 Hertz and are responsible for the pumping bass
- The woofer generates low to midrange frequencies
Most of the car speakers are installed in specific car panels and enclosures. Determining the speaker size is thus one crucial consideration.
When it comes to sizes, there is a lot to choose from; 31/2, 5, 51/4, 61/2, 5X7/6×8, and 6×9 inches. For cars, the 5x7inches can be utilized by most vehicles as they come with a multi-hole mount that is easy to install.
5X7 speakers also come with an attractive look that matches a powerful sound, quality build, and high power handling capacity.
Because of these properties, five by seven speakers can handle more power and distort less than smaller ones.
Component and full range speakers
Other than size, there are two other main categories; the component and full range speakers. Component speakers feature separated components, to allow smooth movement around and within the car.
They offer superior sound quality and so are usually highly priced as compared to the full range. A usual component system has detached woofers, tweeters, and external crossovers.
The tweeter is almost always different from the woofer so that it can be mounted on a location that gives realistic, live and greater depth sound. The crossover part also comes external to the woofer and tweeter, to allow higher internal components that provide a sharp delineation between frequencies.
Full range speakers, on the other hand, are packed into a single system that is very easy to install and costs much less. They can produce any range of sound, but they do not allow customization.
In the simplest form, they have a woofer for lows, and a tweeter on the woofer for highs. Others may have additional components like the midrange and super tweeter.
Installation of the full range speakers just needs you to remove the old speaker, connect the new one with one by wiring, harness then mount.
You should go for the full range speakers if you want high-quality sound with less muss and fuss but at a lesser cost.
Factor to consider when selecting the 5×7 speakers
When looking for a replacement, you will want to settle for nothing less than the best. There are many varieties in terms of brands and features that each has to offer.
The most considerate way to narrow down to your choice is by matching each model to your personal preferences and needs. It is therefore critical to keep some factors in mind. They include:
Quality of sound
The very first deliberation to make is the quality of music because that is the whole point of upgrading.
You can judge the quality of sound of a speaker in two ways- the frequency range and sensitivity rating. The frequency range needs to be wide, in order to accommodate more sounds.
The lowest frequency is about 10 Hertz while the highest is 20,000 Hertz. Many high-quality tweeters may produce frequencies above 20,000 Hertz. Although the human ear may not hear such ultra-high frequencies, they have harmonics that can affect how you perceive sound and its nuances.
The next thing to consider on quality of sound is sensitivity rating, which controls the quantity of sound produced at a specific power.
As mentioned above, sensitivity immensely contributes to the quality of sound. This is because sensitivity tells how much sound or volume (decibels) the speaker yields from the power (watts) applied to it.
Simply put, sensitivity measures the speaker’s ability to convert power to sound effectively. The traditional way uses the standard of 1 watt/1 meter.
Meaning that if a microphone is placed 1 meter away from the speaker, 1 watt of sound will play through it. The specification is rated in decibels (dB).
The higher the rating, the louder the speaker will play with a given amount of amplification power. If your car has a low power stereo (15 watts RMS per channel or less), then a high sensitivity rating (over 90dB) is preferred. A high-power system instead will best go with lower sensitivity ratings.
The material with which the audio system has been built with has a high impact on both the lifespan and sound quality of an audio system.
Tweeters are typically constructed with soft materials such as polyurethane, silk, and textile blends. The rationale behind it is to generate a warm and mellow sound.
Woofers are made with stiffer and yet lighter materials such as polypropylene, woven fabrics, or synthetics coated with aluminum or titanium- so that they can produce bass sounds.
Propylene may at times be mixed with other materials including mica. The casing around the woofer should be constructed with materials that can endure heat and humidity extremes such as rubber, foam, and cloth.
Moreover, the surrounding should also allow the woofer cone to move easily and radiate a bolder bass.
Look out for the list of materials that the manufacturer has used. Otherwise, failure to divulge them may mean that low-quality materials were used.
Every car speaker needs a power source, which can be a receiver or amp. Power handling lets the user know the level of power that the speaker system can handle.
A lower number of power handling communicates the least wattage required to achieve an acceptable sound while a high figure tells the maximum that the speaker can handle at an extended time. The key specification in power handling is the maximum RMS.
The power source level (RMS) should be matched with the maximum watts of the speaker’s recommended range. If the car has a low-powered system, then the speakers do not necessarily need to handle a lot of power.
However, a system with a powerful external amp will need speakers with a power-handling capacity that matches the amp.
Top 5 best 5×7 speakers
|Brand/Model||Our Rating||Configuration||Frequency response||Power handling||Sensitivity||Mounting hardware||Warranty||Top-mount-depth|
|Rockford Fosgate Punch Full Range Coaxial Speakers||#1 Editor Choice||2-way full range||75Hz-22kHz||60 watts RMS 120 watts Max||89dB||Yes||1 year parts and labor||2-5/16|
|JBL GTO8629 Premium Co-Axial Speaker||#2||2-way coxial||49-21000 Hz||5 to 125 RMS 180 Watts Peak||93dB||Yes||1 year hardware||2-3/16″|
|Infinity 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker||#3||2-waycoaxial||49-21000 Hz||60 Watts RMS 180 Watts Peak||93dB||Yes||1 year||2-5/16|
|BOSS Audio CH5730 3 Full Range 3 Way||#4||full range 3 way||100Hz to 18 kHz||150 Watts RMS 300 Watts Peak||90dB||Yes||1 year Additional 2 years for premium shoppers||2-1/16|
|Pyle PL573BL 3-Way Upgraded Speakers||#5||3-way||80 Hz – 20 kHz||150 Watts RMS 300 Watts Peak||90dB||Yes||1 year||2-1/14|
1. Rockford Fosgate Punch P1572 5 x 7-Inches Full Range Coaxial Speakers
Rockford products have managed to ground a 30-year reputation of exceptional audio output.
Their Punch P1572 5X7 full range speakers is no exception and no wonder they are top on our list of best 5X7 speakers. They are built with a flex fit frame design that utilizes slots instead of single screw sized holes to allow slight adjustments when the speaker is already mounted.
It also comes in handy when you want to fit the speakers in an oddly shaped location. The surrounding of the casing is made with butyl rubber to withstand extreme temperatures and humidity while the woofer is mineral-filled and propylene injected molded cone.
The dome tweeter is polyetherimide (PEI). The cone area is made using vertical surround crossover design that significantly increases the speaker’s effective radiating area, without any installation issues.
The result gives it a 25% more radiating cone surface area and makes it possible to improve the nominal maximum output capabilities.
The installation process is also made easier by its integrated concealed crossover make that hides the crossover inside the speaker’s bucket. Other than ease of installation, this design gives it a cleaner look.
They also feature a multi-OEM adapter plate system with break-away tabs that can be removed to fit all speaker sizes.
2. JBL GTO8629 Premium 5 x 7 Inches Co-Axial Speaker
Coming second is the powerful JBL GTO8629 two-way coaxial speakers.
They have an advanced composite carbon that is non-magnetic so that they can transfer more energy to the voice coil. The frames are also non-resonant to improve sound quality. The cones are light and yet stiff, to give more diaphragm area.
That means that its edge-driven soft dome tweeter diaphragm conveys a stunning aspect of vocals and instruments in music and handles power very well.
The frequency response of up to 21kHz ensures that they give a clean, bright, airy sound that opens up the listening space.
With high sensitivity of up to 94db, these speakers can also play loud even with moderate power.
The system comes with tweeter, woofer, mounting system and crossover. The casing is made of rubber, and the tweeter is built with Mylar-titanium for ideal imaging and smooth highs. The crossover is computer optimized, to achieve an audiophile sound.
3. Infinity REF8622CFX 6X8/5X7 360W Reference Series 2-Way Coaxial Car Speaker
The infinity reference 6832 is one of the speakers with the best optimal sounds, more bass, and overall higher efficiency. The cutting edge is that with all these amazing features, it is budget-friendly.
It features a tough polypropylene woofer cone with a rubber surrounding, to achieve deep lows and accurate highs.
Advanced textile is used on the dome tweeters for exceptional clarity as it can bring out all the details in the music, without sounding harsh.
The sensitivity is commendable, and the power handling is perfect- they can work with an external amplifier as well as any factory stereo.
To get a little bit more volume, these 3-ohm speakers combine with the speaker wire of the vehicle, to get an output with an actual 4-ohm impedance.
Although they do not come with grilles in the product package, most factory grilles are suitable for them.
4. BOSS Audio CH5730 3 Full Range 3 Way
Also known as Chaos Exxtreme, these 3-way full range speakers deliver quality heavy-duty play time. The red metallic poly injection on the cone offers the clear sound while the rubber surrounding assures a smooth response and durability.
Other than rubber, the aluminum voice coil also makes the speakers withstand higher operating temperatures and fatigue properties.
The tweeter uses piezoelectric technology- something you will not find in the conventional tweeters.
This piezoelectric technology makes them resistant to overloads that would in normal circumstances damage most high-frequency drivers.
These speakers can also be used without crossovers as the piezoelectric properties basically need a piece of polarized material.
5. PylePL573BL 3-Way Upgraded Speakers
The fifth product on our list is the Pyle three-way speaker that features 20 oz magnetic structure, one-inch neodymium film dome for midrange and frequency response, and 4-ohm impedance.
The impedance rating compensates for the undersized wires found in most of today’s cars.
On appearance, the blue poly injection not only makes it look cool but also helps the music resonate with full power.
Its ASV voice coil make is capable of withstanding high temperatures and also increases performance and efficiency when you need to crank up music.
The poly-mica coated woofer, and rubber-covered casing are secure, extend the life of the speakers and also, allow both high and low-end sound for full range output.
Moreover, just like Boss Audio, Pyle utilizes piezoelectric tweeters for a rich sound and low distortion.
How to install 5×7 speakers
Once you have purchased your speakers of choice, the next step is installing them. Most of the speakers in the market are pretty straightforward, but some may be a daunting task.
Moreover, each car presents its own installation requirements depending on the audio system location, mounting depth and height, and the wiring.
Most of the tools that you will need include
- An assortment of screwdrivers
- Wire cutters
- Allen wrenches
- Socket wrench set
- Crimping tool
- Hobby knife
- Electric drill
- Torx driver and bits
- Panel popper tool
- Electrical tape
- Soldering iron and solder
- Crimping tool
- Clip remover
Once you have gathered the tools, get ready to get down to work. Keep the manufacturer’s instructions nearby, as you may need to keep on referring to them.
Begin by disconnecting the negative lead from the car’s battery to prevent any electrical damage and injuries. You can then go ahead to remove the old speaker’s protective panel or grill. Use a flat head screwdriver to remove any bolts or screws holding it in place.
The next step is to remove the factory speaker. You may have to unscrew one or more bolts or adhesive tape holding the speaker in place. Be careful not to rip off the wiring harness.
Once the old is off, it’s time to come in with the new. Connecting the new speaker system may be as simple as wiring its harness into the car’s harness. However, some types may need complex connections with soldering and drilling.
If drilling, be careful not to damage the gas tanks, fuel lines, brake, hydraulic or vacuum lines, and any electrical wiring. Be sure to match the polarity of the car to the speaker’s connections.
The positive is the larger one and is usually marked with a + sign or a small dot. When everything is set, its time to test the speaker. Reconnect the battery and turn on the car’s stereo. If the speakers do not work, then there is a problem with electrical connection.
If they work, keenly listen to the output and look out for any vibrations at high volumes. When you are confident that every component is working correctly, secure the speaker in its seat or dash, by tightening the screws.
If you were mounting on the door, operate all functions such as windows, locks and all other operating ranges to ensure there is no obstruction.
How to test the quality of the 5×7 speakers before buying
Some people spend weeks researching on car speakers while others walk into a store and in a matter of minutes, are out with a box of speakers. Whatever type of buyer that you are, testing the speakers before buying is critical- it does not matter whether the sellers say that they are perfect.
The key to making that choice is to arm yourself with adequate knowledge- you cannot test what you do not know. First, it is important to note that everything about music and audio is subjective. Just because one person likes it high doesn’t mean that it is the same for all.
For this reason, speaker designers try to achieve a flat on-axis output that is measured with a smooth-off response.
To achieve the desired sound and volume, they, therefore, adjust specific sonic measures. Nevertheless, these technical measurements do not always guarantee that the speakers will generate a sound that will resonate with the consumer.
Thus, the only way to tell whether you will like a certain brand is to test drive. The best thing is that you can test without installing the speakers in your car. The first and simplest option is to connect a 9-volt battery to the leads of the speaker, positive lead to positive battery end and negative lead to negative battery end. If a pulse is generated in the speaker, then the speaker is functioning correctly.
You may also use a digital multimeter with a continuity setting. Connect each end of the single wire to the positive and negative leads of the digital multimeter. If there is a complete circuit through the speaker there will be a continuous tone output from the multimeter and the digital meter will not read open.
The third way is capacitor testing by using a digital multimeter with a capacitance testing option. Connect the positive lead of the multimeter to the positive lead of the capacitor, and vice versa for the negative.
If the capacitor is functioning as expected, the multimeter will give a reading that is similar to the ratings provided on the capacitor casing.
Before buying, do not also forget to ask for return policies and whether the product has any warranty.
The best way to maintain your 5 by 7 car speakers
Unless you care for your audio system, it will get down more often and will not keep banging for years.
Maintaining the kind of quality that you got when the speakers were new comes at a price, but not monetary. Follow the following tips to keep them sounding as good as new.
- Match the power handling level with the system’s output level. If you want the speakers to be louder, turning up the knob is not the only and best way to achieve it. You will need more power to crank up the amp’s gains. So, volume cultivated should never exceed the maximum limit.
- Check the grounds, battery, and terminals regularly, to make sure that they remain tight and free of corrosion. There is usually a high level of current flowing through the speaker’s power cables and vibration, especially if the audio system is high output. To keep the current flowing, it is necessary to keep watching these essential items.
- Keep the settings of the bass, treble, and middle always balanced. It does give not only a pleasant output but also affects the audio age.
- If the speakers are exposed, keep them protected, away from potentially harmful items such as laundry and groceries. Although most of the speakers are built with materials that can withstand an external environment, door panels, and rear decks, it pays to take extra caution.
- Every time that you clean the car clean the speaker components as well. Vehicles do collect dirt and pollutants from all the moving around and passengers coming in and out. Furthermore, the magnets of subwoofers and other speakers may collect small pieces of metal, which may end up spoiling some parts. Use a soft, bristle brush or compressed air to clean the dirt, and avoid damage.
- Avoid cranking the system too much especially on hot days. In case of overheating, circuits may be damaged, and the amplifiers may fail to go into thermal protection mode. Letting the interior cool down before cranking up the system may also help in keeping the system cool.
- If no one is listening to the system, turn it off by shutting down the entire system. Otherwise, any component left on sucks power from the charging system.
- Pay attention to any odd sounds and investigate their cause before it manifests as a more significant problem.
In order to find the best 5X7 car speakers, we combined all the factors that we always recommend to our readers; style, power ratings, price edge, quality of materials, user ratings and reviews.
With these in mind plus your specific needs, you should never consider getting the speaker of your choice as a matter of luck but a paying effort of market research. Have you found a speaker that works for you or looking for one? Share your experience with us.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like:
- New 2 Pairs of Boss 5" x 7" 3-Way Chaos eXXtreme Series Car Speakers
- 300 Watt MAX (600 Watt per 2 Pairs)
- Red poly-injection cone woofer
- Butyl rubber surround
- 1" Polyimide dome midrange
- 6"X8" 4-Way Coaxial speaker - 4 speakers + gravity phone magnet holder
- 350 watts Max power (80 watts nominal)
- Twin 11mm polyethylene Terephthalate (pet) hard dome tweeter
- 1-5/8" Cellulose fiber cone midrange
- 6 x 8" Carbon and mica reinforced injection molded polypropylene (IMPP) cone construction
- This Certified Renewed product is tested and certified to look and work like new, with limited to no signs of wear. The refurbishing process includes...
- Features: 5"x7" 2-way speakers, Carbon fiber-reinforced plastic woofer cone with specialized rubber surround, 1" silk dome tweeter, Handles up to 75...
- 5x7"/ 6x8" 2-Way coaxial speaker system
- Peak: 330 watts per pair/ 165 watts each
- Rms: 110 watts per pair/ 55 watts each 3 ohm impedance
- Included Components: A Pair Of Speakers And Standard Accessories
- SPEAKER PACK: Pack includes (2) 2-way 6x8, 5x7 inches oval coaxial full range speakers
- 125 WATTS: 125 watts of RMS power handling and 250 watts of peak power handling; 6 dB internal crossover special; 4 ohms; Frequency response: 3 10 dB;...
- DOME TWEETERS: Neo mylar soft dome tweeters and silver alpha cellulose poly cones; 1 inch tweeter provides clear highs and handles plenty of power;...
- FEATURES: Anti resonant stamped steel basket frame with minimal harmonics or distortions from flex or ringing; UV and moisture resistant rubber...
- SPECIFICATIONS: Includes 2 pairs (4 total); Mounting diameter: 5.67 inches; Outside diameter: 8.6 x 5.56 inches; Mounting depth: 2.13 inches;...
- New **Rockford Fosgate P1572** 5x7" 240 Watt 2 Way Car Speakers (2 Pairs)
- 120 Watt MAX (240 Watt per Pair)
- 60 Watt RMS (120 Watt per Pair)
- FlexFit basket design
- PEI dome tweeter