A crowd-pleasing balance of sweet and tart, with a Christmassy garnish
- Serves: 1
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- You will need: A shaker with strainer
- 50ml gin
- 25ml lemon juice
- 25ml sugar syrup
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp mulled wine
- Orange peel
I love an aromatic, steaming hot mug of mulled wine as much as anyone. More, probably. But it is one of those drinks that, for me, has a two-glass limit – due to the cloying sweetness. So, this festive serve is the perfect compromise; the generous helping of gin, and a good slug of lemon juice, cuts through the candied, spicy comfort-in-a-glass that’s the mulled wine – either make your own, or cheat with a pre-mixed option (we used Tesco’s version). Then a foam of egg white, topped with festively fragrant orange peel, makes this a Christmas-party winner.
- Shake all the ingredients together with ice.
- Strain the liquid into a chilled glass
- Garnish with cherries and orange peel, or any garnishes you choose.