Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
- 500g frozen spinach
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- A knob of butter
- 150ml single cream
- 15ml milk
- Whole nutmeg
- ½ tsp white pepper
- Sea salt
- 4 eggs
For the herb garnish:
- 1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh chives, finely chopped
- First make the herb garnish. Put the chilli and red onion into a glass or ceramic bowl with the vinegar, two tablespoons of water, the salt and the sugar.
- Next put the spinach, onion and butter into a large frying pan. Place on a very gentle heat and cook, covered, for five minutes. Uncover, stir and continue to fry for another five to 10 minutes, until the water from the spinach has evaporated. Add the cream, milk, a generous grating of nutmeg and the white pepper. Cook for a further five minutes, stirring at intervals. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Make four wells for the eggs. Crack in the eggs and continue to cook for five minutes or until the egg whites have set – covering with a lid will help this along.
- Just before serving, toss the dill and chives with the chilli and red onion. Sprinkle over the spinach and eggs and serve immediately with toast on the side.
Little Swedish Kitchen by Rachel Khoo (£20, Michael Joseph) is out now.