Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
- ½ tsp white pepper
- Sea salt
- 3 tbsp pickled mustard seeds (see below)
- 2 tbsp pickling liquid, from any jar of pickles
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200g beluga or puy lentils
- Handful of raisins
- 800ml good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
- A bunch of spring onions
- 6 rashers of smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2-3 parsnips (200g)
- 3 carrots (340g)
- 2 small beetroot
For the pickled mustard seeds:
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 30g yellow mustard seeds
- To make the pickled mustard seeds, put the vinegar and 250ml water into a small pan with the sugar and salt. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then add the mustard seeds and simmer for a further 40 minutes to plump up the seeds and remove any bitterness. Add a little extra water if it dries out. Set aside to cool.
- Put the lentils, raisins and stock into a pot and bring to a simmer uncovered. Cook according to packet instructions until the lentils are al dente. Drain, reserving the leftover stock.
- Trim the spring onions, remove the green parts and set these aside for later. Finely chop the white parts and put into a frying pan with the bacon. Gently fry for five to 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- In the meantime, peel the parsnips, carrots and beetroot and chop into 0.5cm cubes. Add these to the spring onions and season with the white pepper. Turn up the heat slightly and continue to fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and raisins to the frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of cooking stock. Stir together and taste for seasoning, adding salt if necessary, then take off the heat and cover.
- Finely chop the green parts of the spring onions and toss with the pickled mustard seeds and pickling liquid.
- In a non-stick pan on a low heat, fry the eggs in the butter, until the white is set and the yolk still runny.
- To serve, divide the lentil mixture between your plates or bowls, and top with a fried egg and the spring onions and mustard seeds.
Little Swedish Kitchen by Rachel Khoo (£20, Michael Joseph) is out now.