Perfect for using up leftover chicken or you can always buy a pack of ready-cooked chicken to throw in
- Serves 4
- Preparation time 5 minutes
- Cooking time 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 340g uncooked Arborio rice
- 1.25 litres hot chicken stock
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 25g butter
- 250g chopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick pan.Add the onions and fry over a medium heat for five minutes to soften them. Stir in the rice, mix well and cook for a further two minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and start pouring in the stock, about 250ml at a time. Add more stock as each addition is absorbed. Continue in this manner for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked al dente and the stock is absorbed (all the stock may not be needed).
- While the risotto rice is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry mushrooms on a high heat for about five minutes until golden. Season well and set aside.
- When the rice is ready, stir the cooked mushrooms into the rice along with the butter and chopped chicken. Heat through gently and season to taste. Sprinkle over the fresh thyme and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the
Just Add Mushrooms
campaign from the Mushroom Bureau