Sticky toffee pudding
For the pudding:
- 200g pitted Medjool soft dates, finely chopped
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 60ml whole milk
For the Baileys salted caramel sauce:
- 200g unsalted butter, chopped plus extra for greasing
- 250ml double cream
- 350g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- Heat oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20cm-square cake tin and line with baking paper. Place the dates in a bowl and pour 80ml boiling water over them. Set aside for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after adding each. Sift the flour and baking powder over, then add the milk and soaked dates. Stir well until combined, then spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a heavy-based frying pan. Cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and simmer rapidly for five minutes or until thick and dark. Serve the pudding warm with the sauce poured over.
- 35ml Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 25ml Irish Whiskey
- 1 egg
- Nutmeg, to serve
- Cinnamon stick, to serve
- Add all the ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake. Strain into a glass and garnish with nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, to serve.
For more festive treats click here.